Certificate of Sponsorship

The UK offers several Certificate of Sponsorship  for overseas workers. These visa routes aim to bring employees on a short-term or long-term basis to their UK branches. The aim of these visa routes is to simplify the process of hiring talent from outside the UK.
Call us on 0207 100 2525 for immediate help & assistance with your situation.
We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.


Request a call back from our immigration experts

Page Contents

Call Us 24/7
0207 100 2525

Types of Certificate of Sponsorship

Two types of CoS can be issued for visa applicants applying in the T5, ICT, and Skilled Worker visa categories. These include the following: defined Certificates of Sponsorship, and undefined Certificates of Sponsorship.

The defined CoS is issued for individuals applying through the Skilled Worker Visa route. This type of CoS was previously known as a ‘restricted’ CoS. New changes to the immigration rules in 2020 renamed it as ‘defined CoS.’

A UK sponsor must use the Sponsorship Management System (SMS) to issue a defined CoS. The sponsor can access the SMS after its licence is confirmed. It usually takes only a day for the UKVI to approve a sponsor’s request for a defined CoS. Once approved, the CoS appears as available in the SMS upon which the sponsor can assign it to the applicant.

An undefined CoS is issued for Skilled Worker Visa applications for employees already based in the UK. It is also issued for other visa categories. A UK sponsor must provide an estimate of the number of undefined CoS it needs yearly when it applied for a license. If the sponsor uses up all its CoS, it can apply for an additional allocation.

If you are not sure about the type of CoS you need for your visa application, our hiring foreign workers visa solicitors can help. You can consult an immigration lawyer at our law firm to understand which type of CoS best suits your case.