Student Visa

Call us on 0207 100 2525 for immediate help & assistance with your situation.
We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.


Request a call back from our immigration experts

Page Contents

Call Us 24/7
0207 100 2525

What is a UK Student Visa?

A Student Visa, formerly known as the Tier 4 (General) Student Visa, allows you to study in the UK as an adult student. Students under the age of 17 can instead apply for a Child Student Visa.

You must meet specific requirements to be eligible for this type of visa. These requirements concern your finances, admission confirmation, English language proficiency, and academics.

Our highly experienced immigration lawyers at the London-based Adam Bernard’s law firm can help you meet visa requirements, gather relevant evidence, and speed up the application process.

Here is a look at the key requirements for this visa category as well as the application process.

Who Can Apply?

You can apply for a Student Visa in the UK if you fulfill the following conditions:

  • You have relevant academic qualifications to pursue further education in a relevant course
  • You have an unconditional offer of study from an institution that is on the list of approved sponsors
  • You have the financial resources to support yourself during the course of studyYou can support any family members or dependents who may join you during your studies

Our Study Visa solicitors can review your application before you submit it and let you know whether or not you are eligible for this particular visa category.

Student Visa 70-Point Requirement

The Home Office requires you to meet a 70-point threshold in order to qualify for a Student Visa. You can score these points by meeting various requirements listed above. For instance, your Confirmation of Acceptance letter from the approved sponsoring institution earns you 50 points.

Another 10 points are awarded if you could prove that your English language skills are at B2 level. Once you meet the financial requirements, you receive 10 more points. This brings the total to the minimum score of 70 which you need when applying for this visa category.

Book Video Consultation Now
Zoom | Teams | Whatsapp | Skype

The Application Process

You can apply for this category of visa from both within and outside of UK. The first step involves filling out an application form. You must then pay the application fee for the visa. If you are filing the application from outside the UK, you must pay a fee of £348. Applicants from inside the UK must pay a £475 fee. The fee for extending Student Visa is also £475.

The Home Office will make a decision on your application within 3 weeks if you are applying from outside the UK. A decision is made for applications received from inside the UK in eight weeks.

It is important to have your documents in place and ensure that you meet all requirements when applying. Our experienced immigration lawyers can help you prepare an application that is complete, accurate, and optimized for success.

Express Booking
Free Online Consultation

Financial Requirements for Student Visa

You are required to prove that you can financially support yourself during your stay in the UK as a student. You must meet the following specific requirements to be eligible for the visa:

  • You must have the financial means to procure £1,334 per month. This is applicable to London-based courses.
  • You must have the financial means to procure £1,023 per month for the courses based outside London.
  • If you are applying through the Doctorate Extension Scheme, you must procure £2,668 per month for London-based courses.
  • You must procure £2,046 per month for Doctorate Extension Scheme courses based outside of London.

UK law also requires you to show that you have enough money to pay for your designated course for the whole academic year, which is 9 months in duration. This is in addition to the supporting financial requirements listed above. Our Study Visa solicitors can review your financial details to help you ensure that you meet the requisite financial requirements.

Get in touch with our expert Student Visa Solicitors today.

Course Requirements for UK Student Visa

You can seek a Student Visa only for the eligible courses. These include:

  • A B2-level English language course
  • A part-time course that earns you a qualification that is above the degree level. This applies to courses at RQF level 7 or above.
  • A full-time course that earns you a qualification at RQF level 3, 4, or 5. However, this is subject to the condition that the course must have organized daytime study of at least 15 hours per week.
  • A full-time course that earns you a qualification at or above the degree level. This applies to courses at RFQ levels 6, 7, and 8.
  • A full-time course that qualifies to be at par with a UK higher education course and is at or above the degree level. This applies to courses that are a part of an overseas academic program.
  • Approved foundation programs geared at dentists or other postgraduate doctors.

If you are not sure whether or not your particular course is eligible for a Student Visa, you can consult our Student Visa solicitors.

Appealing Rejections

You can improve your chances of receiving a Student Visa approval by consulting our Student Visa solicitors and making sure your application is both complete and accurate.

If your application for a Student Visa has already been rejected, you have two options. You can reapply for the visa, or you can request an administrative review of the refusal.

If you request a review, you must state the reasons why your refusal was not fair. You will typically have 28 days to request a review if you are applying from outside the UK. For applications from within the UK, the review deadline is 14 days.

If your refusal letter states that certain errors in your application caused the refusal, you can remedy these errors and then reapply. It is best to consult an experienced immigration lawyer before you decide which option to choose.

Student Visa Extension and Graduate Visa

It is possible to seek an extension of your Student Visa. You can do so by proving that you have an unconditional offer of study from an eligible student sponsor institution. This offer must pertain to a course that is at a higher level than the course for which you receive your Student Visa.

You can apply for a Student Visa extension only from within the UK. Our Student Visa lawyers can help you with the application process.

Graduate Visa is another option you can consider towards the end of your Student Visa. The Graduate immigration route is available to you if you have finished your studies in the UK as an international student.

This category of visa extends your study in the UK for another two years. In this duration, you can both live and work in the UK. This is why it is also known as Post-Study Work or PSW Visa.

You must meet the following requirements to apply for a Graduate Visa:

  • You must be in the UK and hold a valid Student Visa
  • You must have studied in an eligible course for at least 12 months, or the full duration of the course, whichever is briefer
  • You must prove your identity by scanning your Biometric Resident Permit and uploading it to the UK Immigration ID Check app.
  • You must have a valid passport or travel document
  • You must be able to produce the Confirmation of Acceptance letter that you used to apply for your Student Visa
  • You must provide a letter from your sponsor or scholarship agency if you received a scholarship or financial support from a sponsor

You can’t seek an extension of a Graduate Visa. However, you have the option of applying to other visas after it ends.

The Skilled Worker Visa is a common route taken after a Graduate Visa. You can apply for this type of visa if a registered UK sponsor company offers you a job that meets minimum salary requirements. This type of visa is valid for 5 years. Our experienced immigration lawyers can help you determine whether or not you can seek a Skilled Worker Visa.

Call Us 24/7
0207 100 2525